Monday, October 1, 2012

PowerPoint (ungh)

Recently in my technology class, we were to compose PowerPoint presentations that were made to teach a lesson. Prior to creating the project we read an article called "Beyond PowerPoint".  The article showed many different things that you could do with PowerPoint.  This article was very intriguing for me.  I didn't realize that you could do so many things with PowerPoint. Beyond PowerPoint article 
For the project we had to look up standards for any age group and subject.  When we had picked our standard, we made a presentation based on the standard for our "students".  I created a PowerPoint for Kindergarten students.  The lesson was on writing sentences.  Throughout the PowerPoint I had photos that they got to choose.  At the end of the PowerPoint, I had a slide that had the students create their own sentences.  This lesson would be after their winter break.  I made sure that the lesson was later in the year to ensure that the students would be able to complete the activity. Here is my PowerPoint
 I learned that I will probably never use PowerPoint in my lessons.  It is not a very useful tool for young children.  That is however my own opinion.  When we had finished the project, we were to present to a group of our peers.  I loved presenting to a small group.  Not only did the presentations not take forever to go through, but talking to a few people and getting feedback at the time is wonderful.  The two people in my group did a wonderful job with their presentations! I loved how they really put hard work into the projects.  Although, I somewhat enjoyed this project I would never want to do one again.  The project did make me realize how PowerPoint is not a very good tool for the classroom.  

1 comment:

  1. First of all, congratulations on figuring out how to hyperlink your PowerPoint because I couldn't no matter how many different things I tried. I also did kindergarten, and I feel the same as you when it comes to actually using it in my classroom. The children are just too young to benefit from a PowerPoint...I might occasionally use a PowerPoint in the form of a game or short activity, as long as there are a lot of interactive components!

    ReplyDelete